19 June 2012

Vegan Bounty!





So, I decided to tackle the bounty bar. Deliciously coconutty, covered in smooth chocolate - to die for! I never really ate them BV, but have grown to appreciate the combination of chocolate and coconut.
Anyway I told myself this wouldn't be too hard, and embarked on my bounty adventure!


Ingredients;
3 c Soy Milk
1/2 c Raw Sugar
2 Drops Vanilla Essence
Dessicated Coconut
Icing Sugar
300g Chocolate (for melting) I used Sweet Williams


Yes, I havent put quantities of coconut/icing sugar down on purpose. We will get to that.


Method;
Condensed Milk:
In a pot, mix soy milk, sugar and vanilla essence. Bring to the boil, and then turn down to simmer. Basically this takes a long time. Don't let the milk boil over and stain your stove. Intermittently check/stir (I love eating the skin that forms!). Generally I can only tolerate waiting up to an hour, but that is by no means a guidance, we have an electric stove which makes it near on impossible to simmer without boiling over and staining the stove top -_-.
Reduce this mix down to what you deem in a condensed milk thickness, or in my case 'i have waited too long this will do' :).
Pour into a bowl, as it cools it will thicken further.


Bounty Mix:
Combine condensed milk, the coconut and icing sugar. I went with 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part coconut, and used an entire packet of dessicated coconut! Keep on adding icing sugar & coconut until the mix is quite stiff - this will vary depending on how much you boiled down the condensed milk.


At this stage you will have a plethora of bounty mix. It is up to you what you do with it now, I was too lazy to roll this mix into individual balls, then coat in melted chocolate, so I decided to go 1 step further and create a bounty bar slice!


Slice Base:
Half a packet of Digestives
3 tbsp Nuttelex
(The amount of digestives/nuttelex is dependent on how big you slice dish is)


In a food processor/blender process biscuit until crumbs.
Pour into a bowl and mix in nuttelex, so that it forms into a crumbly ball. The amount of digestives/nuttelex is dependent on how big you slice dish is. 
Line a slice dish with baking paper, and then the bottom with the biscuit mix.
Spread the bounty mix evenly over the biscuit, smoothing down, no gaps! Pop this into the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Melt chocolate in a bowl over boiling water, and spoon onto bounty mix, again spreading evenly. You will have to work quickly, as the cold bounty mix will set the chocolate. Score the chocolate into pieces you think you can handle, and pop back into the fridge for the entire thing to set.


Once the chocolate has set you can go to town on these bad boys, I highly recommend sharing these as I am sure the fat/sugar content it through the roof! I'm not kidding when I say they were the sweetest thing I have eaten in . . ever! Perfect for a vegan that so rarely gets to indulge on desserts :)


Keep it vegan,
k

No comments:

Post a Comment