Am I the only one that opens the fridge/cupboard and finds nothing, then checks again 5 minutes later hoping something will magically appear? I generally cook extravagant meals that cost (and taste!) a million bucks. So instead of opening my cupboard today and seeing nothing, I opened my eyes and saw plenty!
Tonight I tried Like A Vegan's Jalepeno Pretzels, made with everyday items that we all have stashed away but rarely use!
Like A Vegan's Recipe below;
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup, roughly chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup roughly grated Cheezly
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bi-carb soda
- 2 tablespoons Nuttelex
- Coarse sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, brown sugar and salt before adding the first lot of warm water.
- Once the yeast has dissolved, add the nutritional yeast, jalapenos, garlic and onion powders before sifting in the flours.
- Knead on a floured surface until a nice smooth dough is formed and shape into a ball.
- Spray another large bowl with olive oil and roll the ball around in it before covering and allowing it to rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 230°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Separate the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll out to be about the thickness of your index finger and about 30cm in length.
- Twist into a pretzel shape by bringing the two ends together, twisting in the middle. Then cross the two ends over and press into the bottom of the shape. If you can’t manage this, just make them in any shape you want!
- Mix the remaining water and bi-card soda in a shallow dish. Gently dip each pretzel into the solution before placing on a baking tray.
- Leave the pretzels to rise on the tray for 10 minutes and sprinkle with Cheezly before baking for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and melt the Nuttelex.
- Brush the Nuttelex over each pretzel and sprinkle with sea
Now I omitted the cheezly (purely because I didn't have any on hand and couldn't be bothered driving 40 minutes to buy some), and did some in Nuttelex and salt, some drizzled in agave, and tomorrow plan on topping some with melted chocolate. I am crazy from sweet & hot combinations!
I would probably add more jalapenos next time, but once you have gotten the hand of the base recipe you can vary as you please! Garlicky pretzels, choc chip pretzels, nutty pretzels, mustardy pretzels, The pretzel is your oyster! Er wait . .